[XeTeX] Hyperref \hyperlink and \hypertarget not working with accented characters

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Nov 3 00:26:58 CET 2011

Dear Paul -- Thank you for your spirited defence of Heiko,
which is accepted in the spirit in which it was made.  I,
too, have the greatest respect for Heiko's work (indeed, it
is only a a short time since I said I had considered nominating
him for the non-existent position of vice-Grand-Wizard of TeX, for his
ingenuity and creativity [1]), but that does not, and will
not, stop me from challenging him when I believe that
he is wrong.  Wrong, for example, in tacitly suggesting
that ä, ö, ü, ß, ł, ę not letters but rather "arbitrary rubbisch"
or "funny stuff"; wrong in suggesting that my mail client
does not send UTF-8 but rather ISO-8859-1 (when my mail client
was doing his mail client the courtesy of responding in
kind, rather than sending UTF-8 to a client that itself
converts UTF-8 into ISO-8859-1 and mangles l-bar and
e-ogonek in the process).  None of these challenges
are in the least disrespectful : rather, they are in
the normal tradition of forceful academic debate.  And when
I added a throw-away line to the effect that Heiko,
as well as Adobe, need to put US ASCII behind them
and move into the 21st Century (as DEK did in 1990,
after FMi and others made representations to him
concerning the need for TeX to support a character
set that include at least the basic Western diacritics),
again there is no disrespect, either explicit or
implied.  I am sure that Heiko was not offended, and
if he was, he has full access to my personal mailbox
and is welcome at any time to complain if he feels that
I have failed to show the respect he clearly deserves.

** Phil.
--------
[1] I am /seriously/ impressed, and was about to nominate you