[XeTeX] Hyperref \hyperlink and \hypertarget not working with accented characters

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 14:34:41 CET 2011

2011/11/2 Heiko Oberdiek <heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com>:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 01:11:04PM +0000, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
>
>> >Byte string means that the string consists of bytes 0-255 (or 1..255).
>> >Can you write them with XeTeX in a file or use as destination names
>> >without using a different encoding?
>>
>> I do not understand the question.  There /is/ no "encoding" in a
>> byte string; it is a byte string, by definition.  What am I missing ?
>
> That XeTeX can't write byte strings.

A character in UTF-8 is 1 to 5 bytes. UTF-8 string must use prefix
encoding so that the reader must always know whether the part already
read is a complete character or whether other byte(s) have to be read.
That's why certain bytes at certain positions are not valid in UTF-8
strings. XeTeX can write UTF-8 only, it means it cannot write
arbitrary strings.

> Yours sincerely
>  Heiko Oberdiek

Zdeněk Wagner