[XeTeX] Hyperref \hyperlink and \hypertarget not working with accented characters

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Wed Nov 2 13:15:52 CET 2011

Hi Phil,

On 02/11/2011, at 7:54 PM, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Ross Moore wrote:

>> Don't use non-ASCII characters in the link.
>
> Oh dear, does PDF still live in the TeX 2 era ?  Surely /someone/ in
> Adobe is aware that there are character sets other than US English,
> and that those who write in such languages are perfectly entitled
> to wish to use them in links, whether or not such text ever appears
> on-screen ?

No. I disagree with what you say.

Adobe respects Unicode. It does not have to agree with
the UTF8 encoding of it.

PDF is an ISO standard now, so is properly published,
and anyone can conform with what has been published.

This is miles (!) better than many other attempts to impose
acceptance of other preferences for encoding of data.
The PDF specs say what is acceptable in all the different
circumstances where character data is used for different
purposes, and it provides mechanisms for arbitrary content
to be translated to Unicode code-points, irrespective of
how individual fonts may be encoded.

Specifying an internal representation of a symbolic link
is a programmatic thing, not a textual content thing.
So of course you need to follow the published syntax.

Thus the question here reduces to whether XeTeX, or the
hyperref package, should ensure that whatever restrictions
imposed by the published PDF spec are met, or whether
the author needs to do it him/herself.

My advice is simply that if you restrict yourself to ASCII
letters, then you will not face any difficulties.
This is pure pragmatism; nothing less.

> Philip Taylor

All the best,

	Ross