[XeTeX] Hyperref \hyperlink and \hypertarget not working with accented characters

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Nov 2 12:42:38 CET 2011

Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 11:14:54AM +0000, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
>
>> Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
>>
>>> If the OP needs funny stuff as labels
>>
>> Heiko, you are, I believe, a native German speaker
>> (please correct me if I am mistaken).  In your
>> personal opinion, are the following "letters",
>> "arbitrary rubbisch", or "funny stuff" ?
>>
>> 	ä, ö, ü, ß, ??, ??
>
> Then try
>    ä, ö, ü, ß
>    \bye
> in plain TeX.

But we're not discussing Plain TeX, Heiko : this is the
XeTeX list, where the world has moved on, where UTF-8 is
the norm, and where ASCII is no more than a bad dream.
Are you really suggesting that in Plain XeTeX,

     ä, ö, ü, ß
     \bye

is anything other than a normal, everyday, document ?

I have just processed it here, and with
the addition of just two lines to change the default
font to a Unicode-compatible one, it generates exactly
what one would hope for and expect in the 21st century.

** P.