[XeTeX] Hyperref \hyperlink and \hypertarget not working with accented characters

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Nov 2 12:14:54 CET 2011

Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> Example: Destination names in PDF are just byte strings.
> Thus you could put arbitrary rubbisch in there. The string
> is used as id label to identify a destination/anchor.
>
> Regarding hyperref: an anchor name has similar restrictions
> as a \label name. Letters and digits are safe. The rest
> might work or does not. (There is some support for
> babel shorthands, thus they should work.)

> If the OP needs funny stuff as labels

Heiko, you are, I believe, a native German speaker
(please correct me if I am mistaken).  In your
personal opinion, are the following "letters",
"arbitrary rubbisch", or "funny stuff" ?

	ä, ö, ü, ß, ł, ę

(FWIW, they are all clearly letters IMHO, with
the possible exception of ß which might, I suppose,
be a ligature-digraph).

** Phil.