[XeTeX] Hyperref \hyperlink and \hypertarget not working with accented characters

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Nov 2 11:44:27 CET 2011

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>> OK.  But could a PDF reader not use the same detection algorithm
>> as (say) the Microsoft C# Compiler -- "No BOM : ASCII; BOM : UTF-8" ?
>
>    Of course not; UTF-8 strings do not necessarily contain a BOM.  Where
> did you get that strange idea from?

I didn't :-)  But that is how the Microsoft C# compiler determines
how to treat string literals in C# programs, and although I initially found
it confusing, once I discovered the algorithm I never looked back ...

If it works for Microsoft, why not for Adobe ?

** Phil.