[XeTeX] Greek (and other Unicode) letters in math mode

Gerrit z0idberg at gmx.de
Tue May 31 21:18:54 CEST 2011

Hello,

I always wonder why I can, if I write a formula in math mode, write
latin letters (b, g etc.) as they are but have to write out greek
letters like \alpha or \rho.

Wouldn’t it be nice if I could write:

$$ a^3 \cdot ψ \cdot Ω = ∞ $$ ?

Or maybe even further:

$$ a³ ∙ ψ ∙ Ω = ∞ $$

Well, this would maybe not really be an advantage in typing (I think,
for most people it is easier to write \Omega rather than copy and
pasting Ω,) but rather that the Tex Editor (if you use one) would
automatically convert \Omega to Ω, so that the Tex code is easier to
read. Of course, some stuff you cannot make easier (\frac etc), but for
other symbols and characters, it would be nice if one could just /read
/them in the code.

I think, Xetex would then just need a mapping table converting Ω to
\Omega before compiling.

What do you think about that?

Gerrit