[XeTeX] Customizing footnote markers

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed May 25 16:36:08 CEST 2011

Am Wed, 25 May 2011 16:08:18 +0200 schrieb Alessandro Ceschini:

>> You could try to mix babel and polyglossia:
>> \documentclass[a4paper]{article}
>> \usepackage[french]{babel}
>> \usepackage{polyglossia}
>> \setmainlanguage{french}
>> \setotherlanguage{greek}
>> \begin{document}
>> abc\footnote{blub}
>> \end{document}
>
> But what if I have other secondary languages, namely: Dutch, English,
> Italian, German and Latin ? Should I load them via polyglossia or babel?

As a rule of thumb I would say: every language which uses a
non-western script (greek, russian, arabic etc) should/can only be
used through polyglossia. For the rest try babel if you are missing
(like in french) features.

Btw: When I say "try" I meant it. I have no idea if the
babel/polyglossia will clash somewhere. Also frenchb of babel is a
rather complicated language style and even sometimes gives problems
with other babel languages.

--
Ulrike Fischer