[XeTeX] jobname in tikz externalizing

narke narkewoody at gmail.com
Sat May 21 19:40:08 CEST 2011

Hi,

Today, I am so happy that I can use xelatex together with tikz's
externalizing feature.  I archived this by getting great helps from
the lists.   So far so good.

Then I soon realized that there is still a little problem.   I cannot
use '\beginpgfgraphicnamed' command to control the externalized
picture names as that illustrated in the section 86 of the pgf manual.
 I will get error if i run xelatex with '-jobname' parameter. I.e.,
   xelatex -shell-escape -jobname 'foo-tree' foo
will report:

! Package tikz Error: Sorry, the system call 'xelatex -halt-on-error -interacti
on=batchmode -jobname "foo-tree-figure0" "\def\tikzexternalrealjob{foo-tree}\in
put{foo-tree}"' did NOT result in a usable output file 'foo-tree-figure0' (expe
cted one of .pdf:.jpg:.jpeg:.png:). Please verify that you have enabled system
calls. For pdflatex, this is 'pdflatex -shell-escape'. Sometimes it is also nam
ed 'write 18' or something like that. Or maybe the command simply failed? Error
 messages can be found in 'foo-tree-figure0.log'. If you continue now, I'll try
 to typeset the picture.

So, I can only use 'xelatex -shell-escape foo'  that will give me
pictures with automatic names foo-figure0.pdf, foo-figure1.pdf ...

I attached my minimal sample source file. Please have a look at it
when you have several minutes.

Best Regards,

    -- Schopenhauer

narke