[XeTeX] How to make externalizing work with xelatex?

narke narkewoody at gmail.com
Sat May 21 10:52:41 CEST 2011

Hi,

With pdflatex, I can use '-shell-escape' to compile my latex source
that contains tikz pictures with externalizing activated.  But when I
enabled the ttf fonts support with fontspec package and compile the
modified source with 'xelatex -shell-escape', I got errors and cannot
pass the compiler.

Attached is an simple sample, it's just a modified version of that in pgf manul.

The error message when run 'xelatex -shell-escape' is:

----------------- cut begin

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11 (TeX Live 2010)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode

! Package tikz Error: Sorry, the system call 'pdflatex -halt-on-error -interact
ion=batchmode -jobname "foo-figure0" "\def\tikzexternalrealjob{foo}\input{foo}"
' did NOT result in a usable output file 'foo-figure0' (expected one of .pdf:.j
pg:.jpeg:.png:). Please verify that you have enabled system calls. For pdflatex
, this is 'pdflatex -shell-escape'. Sometimes it is also named 'write 18' or so
mething like that. Or maybe the command simply failed? Error messages can be fo
und in 'foo-figure0.log'. If you continue now, I'll try to typeset the picture.

See the tikz package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.22   \end{tikzpicture}

?

Please give me some help. Thanks in advance.

    -- Schopenhauer

narke
public key at http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371 (narkewoody at gmail.com)