[XeTeX] xelatex and table of contents

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Thu May 12 00:11:49 CEST 2011

Hi Alan,

On 12/05/2011, at 7:53 AM, Alan Munn wrote:

>>    dev.sty    2003/06/09 $Revision: 1.14$ LaTeX macros for Velthuis Devanagar

>> After loading devanagari.sty add the following:
>>>
>>> \def\DNencdefault{EU1}
>>> \def\DNrmdefault{lmr}
>>>
>>> This superficially seems to solve the problem.
>>
>> This wasn't necessary for me.
>>
>> So if someone sees a difference in package versions from what I used,
>> then that may provide a clue as to the source of the incompatibility.
>
> I need the redefinitions. The difference between my File List and yours is:

> So generally yours are a bit older than mine.

 ... quite a lot, concerning  dev.sty .

Mine is a relic in a local  texmf  tree, from work I was doing
with  devnag  ~8 years ago!

I should have checked this before posting.

>     dev.sty    2008/03/09 v2.15 LaTeX macros for Velthuis Devanagari
> devanagari.sty    2008/03/09 v2.15 LaTeX macros for Velthuis Devanagari
> dvngcite.sty    2008/03/09 v2.15 Extension for citations in the nagari text
>    cite.sty    2010/09/10  v 5.3

After disabling the old directory, I now see what François was describing.

The cause of the problem is that  devanagari.sty  defines a macro
 \NormalFont  which needs to be set properly.
One way is to setup  \DNencdefault  and  \DNrmdefault  as you advised.
That is probably the best way to proceed.

Presumably there is documentation for the package which explains
why  \NormalFont  is defined at all.

A simple alternative "quick and dirty" approach is to just
disable \NormalFont before doing the ToC.

e.g.

{\let\NormalFont\relax
 \tableofcontents
}

This worked for me, with the example supplied.
Though it is possible that with a larger, more complex document,
this might not work --- depending on just where the \tableofcontents
command is used.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross.moore at mq.edu.au