[XeTeX] hyphenation in Ethiopian languages

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Wed May 11 19:02:45 CEST 2011

> And another nasty issue (that might deserve its own thread). We wanted
> to have no hyphenchar at all, but using \hyphenchar\font=0 has a nasty
> consequence that lines with broken words are not properly justified
> (some extra space is squeezed between the last character in line and
> the non-existent hyphen char).

  Actually, what we've observed is that XeTeX seems to produce a glyph
in the output even if we set \hyphenchar to a character for which there
is no glyph in the current font.  In the attached example, the fourth
line from the end ends in a word that has been hyphenated, and the
trailing white space can actually be copy-pasted from the PDF file and
yields Unicode character U+FFFF (oddly enough).

	Arthur