[XeTeX] Odd font behavior

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Mon Mar 14 13:12:15 CET 2011

On Mar 13, 2011, at 5:09 PM, David Perry wrote:

> I'm having a similar problem.  In a font I'm developing, some characters won't print in XeLaTeX, even though they are fine in Word and Notepad (Windows, obviously, not Mac).  They display correctly if I set the font in my editor (TeXworks) to be the font I'm working on, but they don't show in the TeX-generated PDF on screen or in print.  Word puts them into a PDF without trouble.  I doublechecked the Unicode values in my font editor and saw nothing amiss.  It so happens that some of these characters in the PUA and others in Plane 1; I'm not sure whether that has anything to do with the problem.
>
> David
>
> On 3/13/2011 3:52 PM, Stephen Moye wrote:
>> Three things. First, here is a minimal file that fails to print correctly
>>
>> %%===8><---%%
>>
>> % !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
>> % !TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX
>>
>> \documentclass{article}
>>
>> \usepackage{xltxtra}
>> \setmainfont{PFChampionScriptPro-Regular}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>>
>> % This prints:
>> This is some text
>>
>> % This does not print, though it previews:
>> \char"EF6C\par %% Also tried using XeTeXglyph
>> \end{document}
>>
>> %%===8><---%%
>>
>> Second, I tried the old XeLaTeX-xdv2pdf engine with the same results.
>>
>> Third, I tried the brute force approach:
>>
>> \font\test="PFChampionScriptPro-Regular" at 18pt \test
>>
>> Likewise to no avail.
>>

>> Stephen Moye
>>

>> On Mar 13, 2011, at 2:28 PM, Stephen Moye wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to use a font with some ornaments in it -- they are rather large and complex. I'm using TeXLive2010, and XeLaTeX that shipped with it. I am also on a Mac, running Mac OS X 10.6.6.
>>>
>>> The ornaments preview perfectly, but will not print. I have cleaned out the font caches. I have reinstalled the font. I am able to print the characters from other applications.
>>>
>>> This is a real puzzle, and new to me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Now I'm really confused -- and not a little concerned. At home (where I first experienced the problem) I have an inkjet printer (Brother). I brought my conundrum to work where we have PostScript printers, on which the files print perfectly with all of the ornament characters showing up. Heartening, in a way, but I don't know where to begin to diagnose this issue at home. Again, any insights would be welcome...

Stephen