[XeTeX] Bidi, memoir and footnotes

Arash Zeini arash.zeini at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 20:29:31 CET 2011

On Thursday 10 February 2011, Vafa Khalighi wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Arash Zeini <arash.zeini at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am using Bidi v1.0.3 as part of a packaged TeXLive installation on a
> > Debian
> > unstable:
> > "XeTeX 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (TeX Live 2009/Debian) // kpathsea version
> > 5.0.0
> > // Copyright 2009 SIL International and Jonathan Kew."
> >
> > I have a fairly complex master document to hold all the pieces of my
> > thesis together. I use the memoir document class with ledmac and several
> > layers of footnotes. Now, when I try to load the bidi package, I get the
> > following error
> > message:
> >
> > "! No room for a new \count .
> > \ch at ck ...\else \errmessage {No room for a new #3}
> >
> >                                                  \fi
>
> That is a very old version of bidi but to answer your question: bidi
> redefines all footnote internals from standard latex. In the upcomming
> version of bidi, I have implemented extrafootnotefeatures option motivated
> by memoir and ledmac footnote features that allows you to typeset footnotes
> from 2 columns to 10 columns. Is this helpful?

Dear Vafa,

Another question: you mention above that "bidi redefines all footnote
internals". When I load Bidi v1.0.3 with the memoir class, it changes the line
spacing in the footnotes as well. It adds some irregular vertical space
between the lines and the result doesn't look very nice. Is there a way around
this?

Many thanks and best wishes,
Arash