[XeTeX] hypertext index

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Wed Mar 9 05:12:54 CET 2011

On Mar 8, 2011, at 11:04 PM, Mike Maxwell wrote:

> On 3/8/2011 10:54 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

>>> Umm, we've been using hyperref (without xindy) in xelatex and are
>>> getting plenty of hyperlinks in our PDF, including to external
>>> websites. At least I assume hyperref is what's giving us the
>>> hyperlinks.  Isn't that what it's supposed to do?
>>
>> Yes.  hyperref isn't incompatible with xelatex; it's incompatible
>> with xindy and xindy is really the only indexing system that is able
>> to cope properly with unicode.  So although makeindex works fine with
>> hyperref, if you are indexing anything other than English you really
>> need something like xindy.
>
> Ah, but I'm still confused.  Our index entries (created with makeindex, but not xindy) certainly contain non-ASCII Unicode characters (schwas, stacked diacritics...), and yet the page #s attached to those index entries seem to hyperlink just fine. Does the problem happen only if the hyperlinks themselves on the index terms contain non-ASCII characters? Like if we used Indic page numbers in our indices?

I'm no expert on this, so I'd best stop while I'm ahead. Does makeindex sort non-English things properly without resorting to special devices in the index entries?   Anyway, there is no problem as far as I know with hyperref and makeindex; the problems with makeindex are related to its ability to deal easily with non-English sort orders.

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com