[XeTeX] charlint?

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 11:49:55 CET 2011

In the attached test.zip are some experiments with the r-underring
character and
using \XeTeXinputnormalization=1 or not.

As Peter, Jonathan, and others have said, several fonts don't have the
combinedcharacter r+underring. If the accented character is not present as a
single glyph in the font, \XeTeXinputnormalization can't put it there.

Notable fonts that *do* have r-underring as a single glyph it include Charis
SIL, Gentium, and IndUni-P (and series).

Fonts that don't have single-glyph r-underring include TeX Gyre Pagella (and
presumably series), and Gentium Basic.

Looking at the effect of \XeTeXinputnormalization, the improvements are very
striking indeed.  Especially noticeable are corrections to many mis-aligned
accents.  In the IndUni case, i+combining macron still had the i's dot,
overprinted on the macron.  With \XeTeXinputnormalization, the dot
(correctly) disappeared.

In short, it's well worth having \XeTeXinputnormalization turned on if
there's any chance that your document has combining accents in it.  I would
say, it's essential, if you want good typesetting.  But at the same time you
have to be very careful about characters that might, as a result of holes in
the font, just go missing.  So if you are using \XeTeXinputnormalization=1,
it's essential to set \tracinglostchars=1 and check your .log file (and/or
use \tracingonline=1 so you see things on your screen as well as in the log
file), just as Jonathan said.  You'll then see warnings along these lines:

 Missing character: There is no ̥ in font Gentium
> Basic/ICU:script=latn;language=DFLT;!

and you can act on them.

There's one more important thing to be aware of.  If your bibtex key for a
citation contains combining-accents, and if you also use
\XeTeXinputnormalization in your main document file, then the \cite key
written to the aux file will be normalized, and therefore different from the
key in the bibtex file.  So the citation and the entry in the bibliography
will vanish.

Best,
Dominik