[XeTeX] Diacritic marks in various fonts

Nathan Sidoli nathan.sidoli at utoronto.ca
Thu Jun 23 18:45:17 CEST 2011

Thanks to everyone that responded.

It does seem that the error message is unrelated (since I don't get it
with the minimal example, below), however, the issue with Junicode (and
Times Translit) persists even with this minimal example:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Junicode}% Times, Times New Roman

\begin{document}

Here is an example, \emph{sa\d{m}kalita}.\footnote{
\emph{sa\d{m}kalita}.
}

\end{document}

The example that Ulrike gives works, but is this a long term solution?

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Junicode}% Times, Times New Roman,

\UndeclareUTFcomposite[\UTFencname]{x1E47}{\d}{n}
\newcommand\mydaccent[1]{%
  {\fontencoding{OT1}\selectfont
    \d{\fontencoding{EU1}\selectfont #1}}}

\begin{document}

Here is an example, \emph{sa\d{m}kalita}.\footnote{
\emph{sa\d{m}kalita}.
}

Here is another example, \emph{sa\mydaccent{m}kalita}.\footnote{
\emph{sa\mydaccent{m}kalita}.
}

\end{document}

Best,