[XeTeX] Roman Numerals as stylistic alternatives

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Sun Jun 19 21:45:33 CEST 2011

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011, Tobias Schoel wrote:
> that's a good answer. is there such an opentype feature / fonts supporting it?

I don't know of a font that does Arabic->Roman numeral translation as
glyph substitution while preserving the original Arabic code points.  I'm
considering building an Arabic->Roman translation as a "Stylistic Set"
feature (ss01, ss02, etc.) in one of my own projects, but my current plan
is to make it translate the code points too, so if you write "3" with the
feature turned on, it appears as "iii" and then if you copy and paste
that, you end up pasting "iii".  It sounds like that's not what you want.
--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.