[XeTeX] Contextual Ligature Problems with OT Tamil Font Converted to AAT

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Jun 19 17:54:07 CEST 2011

Alan Munn wrote:

> This is a useful and friendly list. Let's keep it that way.

I had no intention of doing otherwise.  I was asking for
additional information, not levelling criticism.

 > Rather than entering into a long discussion with Pete about this, perhaps you could have verified your information by checking the documentation first, before accusing it of failing to mention things.

I did not "accuse" it (the fontspec manual) of anything;
I asked Pete if his statement was valid for all platforms.

 > Since almost everyone on this list has read the fontspec manual,

"Almost everyone who uses XeLaTeX".  I do not.  Fontspec does not
work with Plain XeTeX.  So, as I have said before, there has never
been any reason for me to read the fontspec manual.

All I am trying to do (and it really doesn't seem unreasonable
to me) is to ask that when people make statements which they
know are platform-specific, but which others will not necessarily
know, to make that platform-specificity explicit.  Remember that
all these messages are archived, and people will retrieve them
via Google without knowing (or being aware of) the context in which
they were made.  The more useful background (such as "This will
work only with MacOSX", or "this won't work with xdvipdfmx") that
can be provided, the more use the message will be.

Philip Taylor