[XeTeX] Linux Libertine 5 serif too heavy

Sebastian Gerecke sgerecke at l3s.de
Tue Jun 14 10:32:35 CEST 2011

Am Dienstag 14 Juni 2011, 07:44:49 schrieb M. Niedermair:
> Hi,
>
> > I tried the new version 5 of the Linux Libertine font. I'm getting a way
> > to heavy serif font. Could someone please check if this a problem with
> > my setup or a real problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sebastian
> >
> > \documentclass[fontsize=12pt]{scrartcl}
> > \usepackage{fontspec}
> > \setmainfont{Linux Libertine O}
>
> if you use only fontspec and setmainfont you get not all font
> series/shapes.
>
> Use \usepackage{libertine} instead.

Hello Michael,

as you seem to be fairly involved in the LinLibertine project maybe you can
shed some more light on this:

1) Previously, I downloaded the fontfiles from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxlibertine/files/linuxlibertine as
http://www.linuxlibertine.org links there. Is that not the proper location to
get the files?

2) I made sure to get only the .otf files. With version 4.7.5 (from
sourceforge) and using only \setmainfont{Linux Libertine O} I had no problem
getting the italic version of the font (using \it{} - as in file 124-old.pdf).
Now you're telling me this is not enough anymore. Does this mean, this is an
expected behaviour of version 5 a.k.a. not a bug but a feature?

3) I was under the impression that \usepackage{libertine} was only for LaTex
users as they can't use \setmainfont. Using that package, is it still possible
to use alternative glyphs, OldStyle/SInf/SUps/Tabular-numbers and all the
other nice features LinLibertine has and that I have used with XeLaTex before?

4) The dante-package has only 24 .oft files under
/fonts/libertine/fonts/opentype/public/libertine where the .tar.gz from
sourceforge has 35. Are the some fonts not in the date package?

Thanks,
Sebastian