[XeTeX] [Off-topic] Persian versus Farsi

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 11 11:29:00 CEST 2011

I would say the situation is always fluid in the nomenclature employed for foreign names, languages, and places - in English, at any rate.  I'm sure the inhabitants of Livorno would be a little upset if English-speakers still referred to it as Leghorn (likewise Braunschweig/Brunswick, and innumerable others).  As a matter of politeness, if those speaking the language say that they would be happier to hear English-speakers use the word 'Persian', I'm sure most English-speakers would go along with that.  They probably only started to say 'Farsi' because they thought that's what the speakers of the language would rather hear them use.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to work quite like this in languages other than English.  I don't think the French could be easily persuaded to refer to the British capital as London rather than Londres, nor do the British (as far as I know) have any desire to impose 'London' on those foreign languages that use their own form.  But English seems in general willing to adapt to the form that speakers of foreign languages would prefer English-speakers to use.

It certainly isn't up to the speakers of one language to tell the speakers of another language which form they _must_ use - but it ought to be enough to express a preference, and then I think the deprecated form will naturally fade out of use, in the interests of harmonious human relations, which seem to be in pretty short supply (even at times on this list).

John