[XeTeX] Customizing footnote markers

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 5 18:37:25 CEST 2011

I can't take time to absorb that, but it looks as if it wants to force the
indentation at the start of a footnote to be 1.5em, which ought to be OK
(rather more than I would have, but no matter just now).

Just before the first line of your text (after you've loaded all your
packages and so on), try

\global\parindentFFN=1.5em

and see what happens.  Whatever is going on, it looks as if with your
current coding the program is attempting to put a giant amount of space
(surely wider than your actual text width) before the footnote cue, and that
is creating chaos.

If that is no good, I think I'll have to bow out of this thread - sorry!

John