[XeTeX] Text on a path (was : Drop-shadows with outline fonts in XeTeX ?)

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Jun 2 08:25:24 CEST 2011

My sincere thanks to Mojca to her suggestion for implementing
drop shadows in XeTeX, which I am investigating further as
I write.  Now I have a second problem for the same task.
Whilst signs 1 & 2 are linear, sign 3 requires text to be
typeset on a path (in practice, on two ellipses : see attachment [1]),
and once again I would be most grateful for any suggestions
as to how this can be accomplished using XeTeX.

Philip Taylor
--------
Note that the upper and lower text are set on two different
"concentric" (?conelliptic?) ellipses, such that the x-height
of the lower text abuts the same ellipse as the baseline of the
upper text.