[XeTeX] epsdice package.

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jul 16 21:21:19 CEST 2011

Am 16.07.2011 um 18:04 schrieb Michael Joyner:

>> Am 16.07.2011 um 09:38 schrieb Michael Joyner:
>>
>>> As a sort of an aside (could tie into this) Is there a way to
>>> specify a
>>> "fallback" font for tetex to use when a glyph is not present in the
>> current
>>> active font?
>>
>> The results of finding in some other font the character would not
>> satisfy
>> the user in every case.
>>

> I fail to understand the reasoning for this statement.
>
> How would being able to specify a fallback font when a glyph is
> missing be
> such a negative?
>
> I am sure you don't intend that NO GLYPH is better rather than
> allowing the
> end-user being able to specify at least a basic fallback set of
> glyphs?

Partial misunderstanding – as in "ᏍᎪᎯ: Skoh-Hee". Does the last
syllable sound like "hay" (or some other form of money) or different,
like in German for example? (That's the reason IPA was invented: it's
completely clear.)

I assumed you were thinking of an automatic means as it exists in Mac
OS X's font service or in GNU Emacs. Their results are not always
satisfying. In XeTeX you simply make that character active, i.e. kind
of a TeX command, and use just it:

	\newfontfamily\ogonekfont{good looking font}

	\catcode`ǫ=\active
	\defǫ{\ogonekfont o\char"0328\relax}

The \def looks simpler when you do not need to combine. Then you can
also abandon the \relax. (In the XeTeX mailing list archive you can
find a hundred of examples: http://www.tug.org/pipermail/xetex/.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _