[XeTeX] Bold unit vectors

Nicholas Oettle nicholas.oettle at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 14:22:26 CEST 2011

I'm trying to print bold unit vectors in Asana Math. I would like the 'i' to be bold, italic and with a hat on top.

It appears to be an issue with the \imath symbol, as shown in the minimal example below. In addition, I'm not sure whether the hat should be bold when used with the \mathbf command (I think it should be).

Perhaps a workaround would be to use non-unicode, non Asana with the AMS packages just for the unit vectors i, j and k, however I'm unsure how to 'undo' the unicode and Asana packages temporarily:

$\boldsymbol{\hat{\imath}}$

Any help or workarounds would be appreciated!

Nicholas

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\usepackage[bold-style=ISO]{unicode-math}
\setmathfont{Asana Math}

\begin{document}

These work as expected:
$i$, $\mathbf{i}$, $\hat{\imath}$

\ldots whereas these don't:
$\mathbf{\imath}$
$\mathbf{\hat{\imath}}$

\ldots and I'm unsure if the hat should be bold here (which it isn't):
$\mathbf{\hat{e}}$

\end{document}