[XeTeX] xdv2pdf vs xdvipdfmx

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 11:00:16 CET 2011

On 2011-01-21 18:57:06 +1030, Oleg Parashchenko
<olpa at uucode.com> said:

> what is the state of xdv2pdf? Is it ok to use this driver in production
> environment, or are there any issues? What xdvipdfmx provides, what
> xdv2pdf can not do?

It's probably safe to say that xdvipdfmx is the more supported option
these days. In terms of functionality, xdvipdfmx can do things like
pstricks support and better support for various PDF related functions,
since it uses (an extended version of) dvipdfmx.

On the other hand, xdv2pdf can do font transparency and multiple
master/AAT fonts and it accepts a greater range of image formats. I've
long in the past had some issues printing from xdv2pdf-created PDFs,
but nothing too serious.

> (Starting with 10.5, Mac OS X provides a font-from-file function.
> A test code does work under my 10.6.)

How does this work? Can you show an example?

Best wishes,
Will