[XeTeX] Help with UTF8 in XeTeX

Tobias Schoel liesdiedatei at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 9 21:43:28 CET 2011

Explanation of the other replies:

The packages ucs and [utf8x]inputenc are used by LaTeX in order to cope
with utf8 encoded text. This is needed, because LaTeX uses the
TeX-Engine, which copes only with ascii.

That was TeX. But you want to use XeTeX:

XeTeX automatically copes with utf8-encoded text, because it's not a
metapackage like LaTeX but a different engine.

So if you want to use XeTeX, forget about the packages ucs, inputenc and
fontenc, but instead use the package fontspec.

bye

Toscho