[XeTeX] XeTeX, fontspec, OTF, and fontdimens

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 06:32:05 CET 2011

On 2011-02-20 11:42:30 +1030,
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca said:

> * Ideally the fact that the font is monospace is auto-detected, but if
>   that is difficult or impossible, it would be reasonable that I set some
>   option to let the system know that spaces should not stretch.

Could we measure the width of an "i" and an "m", and if they're the
same we'd be 99% sure it's a monospace font? If there are fontdimen
features that could be set more appropriately for such cases, I'd be
happy to add an automatic feature for this.

If I don't re-appear here after this discussion concludes, it's because
I'm over-worked to exhaustion (I'm lecturing this semester
unexpectedly). In which case make sure you summarise any important
points on the issue tracker so that we can address them one day:

    <http://github.com/wspr/fontspec/issues>

Many thanks,
Will