[XeTeX] XeTeX, fontspec, OTF, and fontdimens

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Feb 19 18:32:46 CET 2011

Am 19.02.2011 um 05:11 schrieb mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca:

> If I load a monospace OTF
> font with fontspec, it works fine at the default size, but when I
> change
> the size with LaTeX class-provided commands such as \Large, the spaces
> between words end up the wrong size.

Matthew,

XeTeX (and original TeX) do not put SPACE characters into the output,
i.e., if a SPACE glyph would exist in a font it is not used to
separate words or such. Presumingly the space between two words is
comprised of the right bearing of the right-most character of the left
word + some inter-word space from TeX + the left bearing of the left-
most character of the right word. Only this inter-word space is
effected.

Instead of exotic fonts you can use from TeX Live 2010 the GNU
Freefonts in:

/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/gnu-freefont
/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/gnu-freefont

For me OTF or TTF make no noticeable difference (pdffonts approved).

--
Greetings

   Pete

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night, but set a man on
fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.