[XeTeX] preventing hyphenation

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Sat Feb 19 06:13:03 CET 2011

In a grammar we're writing, the gloss of a word "xowunʣāy" gets
hyphenated immediately after the 'x'.  I thought I could prevent this by
adding the command
    \hyphenation{xowunʣāy}
near the beginning of the file (before the \begin{document} command).
However, this has no effect; the word still gets hyphenated.

The paragraph of text in the input is
    Applies to nouns (including verbal nouns) and
    adjectives. \pusArabicScript{ښوون(ه)} /xowun(a)/  \emph{teaching};
    \pusArabicScript{ښوونځای} /xowunʣāy/  \emph{schoolhouse}.
where \pusArabicScript is our command to switch into Arabic script.

Any idea why the \hyphenation{} command is ineffective?
--
	Mike Maxwell