[XeTeX] Velthuis to Roman transliteration

François Patte francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
Tue Feb 8 22:24:30 CET 2011

Le 08/02/2011 18:53, Neal Delmonico a écrit :
> Greetings All,
>
> I just wanted to thank everyone who offered advice and help in resolving
> my Velthuis to transliteration question.  I now have RomDev.map and .tec
> successfully installed and they are working like a charm.  I have two
> routes to conversion of my old velthuis files to unicode: a sed script
> (thanks Dominik) that works well and an emacs script (thanks Francois)
> that works equally well.  Those scripts have helped me resolve some
> other questions I had a had about efficient ways to input Unicode
> transliteration.  I would still like to try create a map that would
> convert velthuis to unicode Roman transliteration, but I will save that
> until I have some free time for that.

As you are using emacs, there is a sanskrit.el which allows to input
unicode roman transliteration while you type a kind of Velthuis code:

=a will give you :  ā

.r : ṛ

and so on.

You can find it there:

http://www.indologie.uni-halle.de/software/installation.htm

download the file: utf-skt05.tgz

And install it (instructions are provided).

But there are some problems with this version of sanskrit.el:  J
Hanneder had made some "enhancement" which are not so handy!

I commented the part
;; Sanskrit part
;; JH special

Doing this you will loose some characters, but it is easy to re-add them
according to the transliteration scheme you wish.

If you want to byte-compile it there are 2 errors in the Punctuation part

 ("\-\-" ?--)
 ("\-\-\-" ?---)

You should replace ?-- (en-dash) and ?--- (em-dash) by there unicode
characters: use M-x ucs-insert <RETURN>

then type the hex code of en-dash: 2013 (same for em-dash 2014)

Hope this help.

PS I use emacs 23

Regards
- --