[XeTeX] Kerning flaw with MinionPro & XeTex

Adam Twardoch (List) list.adam at twardoch.com
Mon Feb 7 15:34:32 CET 2011

On 11-02-07 12:31, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> A couple of possible workarounds: either modify the font file to avoid the issue (Adam's analysis makes it clear how this could be done) -- provided this is compatible with your license, of course -- or use a different typeface that doesn't exhibit the problem.
Adobe is one of the few major font vendors that do permit modification
of their fonts for personal use.

The solution to the problem would be to open the font in a font editor
such as FontLab Studio or FontForge, then expanding class-based kerning
and removing kerning classes, and then generating a new font with
kerning written in this new way (i.e. as a flat list, not class-based).

I might be able to write a Python script that does this (convert class
into flat kerning) in a non-invasive manner (I actually have started
this some time ago).

Best,
Adam