[XeTeX] problem rendering unicode Devanagari dependent vowel signs and ligatures

Richard Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Feb 4 03:45:43 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 01:05:28PM +0545, Leo Brouwer wrote:
> I've run Richard's sample (with devamt.ttf, the IBM version of Devanagari
> MT---apparently not an exact equivalent, as it doesn't render "trya"
> correctly), and it appears to me that it's not the fonts, but the lack
> of* *Script=Devanagari
> in the font options that's causing the difference. Using velthuis-sanskrit
> mapping *without *Script=Devanagari displays visarga & dependent vowels
> without the circle for *all *fonts I've tried. It also doesn't form
> conjuncts correctly, however. Strangely enough, leaving out the script
> option doesn't seem to make a difference when using Romdev mapping, or when
> inputting Devanagari directly.

Good catch -- it completely slipped my mind that I'd used Script=Devanagari
for only one of the two fonts in my original message.  (I'd cut and paste
the text from somewhere else.)

To me, it looks like the effects of Script=Devanagari are at least partly
font-dependent.  With Sanskrit 2003, I need to have the Script setting
present, or it doesn't bother with conjuncts; it just sticks viramas
everywhere.  Precisely the *opposite* is true with Devanagari MT.

I've attached source (UTF-8) and output, for completeness's sake.  As you
can see, I was also curious if Mapping=velthuis-sanskrit made any
different.  Conclusion: Not with these fonts, at least.

Richard