[XeTeX] problem rendering unicode Devanagari dependent vowel signs and ligatures

David J. Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Fri Feb 4 03:00:57 CET 2011

Remember that Mac and Windows/Linux use two completely different
technologies to display complex scripts: OS X uses Apple's own AAT fonts,
while the other two major platforms use OpenType.  I've noticed some
confusion, even among people on this list, about this issue.  If you are
comparing font performance, make sure that you are comparing apples to
apples.  Devanagari MT, for instance, is an AAT font; not only would it be
illegal to copy it to a Windows machine, but it would not work at all!
Apple added OT support for Arabic in 10.5, but Hebrew and the Indic scripts
still require AAT (except for the word processor Mellel and the Middle
Eastern versions of Adobe products such as InDesign, which use OT).

Xe(La)Tex, via fontspec, is unique in being able to use either OT or AAT
fonts on a Mac.

David