[XeTeX] TL update and Linux Libertine O ligatures

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue Dec 27 18:37:40 CET 2011

Am Tue, 27 Dec 2011 16:22:06 +0000 schrieb Arash Zeini:

>>> Today I finally ran "tlmgr update" on my TL 2011 installation on
>>> Linux, which updated 138 packages. Since then, using Linux Libertine
>>> O, xelatex renders the sequence "fi" as "- ": "find" -> "- nd". No
>>> such problems with Linux Libertine or Times New Roman. Is this just a
>>> bug in Linux Libertine O? Has anyone else encountered this?
>>
>> In the french group someone mentioned a similar problem but (like
>> you here) without exact code.
>>
>> I can't reproduce the problem (with miktex) with this example:
>>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \setmainfont{Linux Libertine O}
>> \begin{document}
>> abc fi
>> \end{document}
>
> Thanks, Ulrike and Peter! When I compile the above example, I get "abc - ".
>
>> This uses LinLibertine_R.otf (version 5.1.3).

>> I would at first check if you have double versions of some fonts
>> (xelatex can be easily confused by this).
>
> I try hard not to confuse xelatex by double installations and don't
> have any other versions of Libertine installed.

Well your output says something else:

> "/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/libertine-legacy/fxlr.otf".

> /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/libertine-legacy/fxlr.pfb

Imho libertine-legacy should not contain the otf-files (actually
otf-files in *any* package can be a problem with xelatex as it can
clash with system fonts). Regarding the problem with the pfb: I will
check tomorrow if xelatex really finds them when looking for linux
libertine O.

--
Ulrike Fischer