[XeTeX] XeTeX does not define the \XeTeX macro.

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Wed Dec 21 13:25:08 CET 2011

Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> My name is Ulrike.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
Sincere apologies, Ulrike.

> I saw that you wanted to use plain. But you didn't ask how to get
> the logo with plain but "Where is \XeTeX canonically defined". I
> assumed as a plain user you would be able to look in the codes and
> copy a suitable definition.

Well, yes, of course I could.  But I assumed (perhaps naively)
that just as e-TeX had provided the e-TeX logo in a file that
was compatible with Plain e-TeX, XeTeX would have done the same.

I do appreciate that I am now one of an endangered minority of
Plain users, but XeTeX is an /engine/, not a format, and it
seems crazy to me to provide a definition of its logo in style
files that are compatible only with LaTeX.  Your demonstration
that Hologo.sty /can/ be used with Plain XeTeX is helpful, but
of course I am put off by the fact that it warns me that it cannot
find a free read register.  I have no idea why it might want one,
but if it can't find one, then presumably it won't necessarily
work as expected.

** Phil.