[XeTeX] Overfull \hbox when using inline math scripts

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Dec 16 16:31:17 CET 2011

Zdenek Wagner wrote:

> You should start with \tolerance=9999.
> In such a case you should not have overfull boxes (if you still have
> them, some changes in the text may be needed). After this run you find
> the highest badness of the underfull box. Set \tolerance to this value
> and \hbadness to one less and run LaTeX again. You should see just one
> underfull box in your log. Now you can decrease \tolerance (and
> badness) until you get an overfull box, then return to the higher
> value of \tolerance and set \hbadness to the same value. If you have a
> paragraph with an overfull box, then set locally for  that paragraph
> \emergencystretch=1em. (This algorithm appeared years ago in an
> article by Phil Taylor and I use it since then)

So do I (!), but I am fairly certain that Frank Mittelbach subsequently
proved that there is a far simpler way of achieving exactly the same
results, with considerably less effort.  Frank, are you there ?

** Phil.