[XeTeX] Overfull \hbox when using inline math scripts

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 14:43:48 CET 2011

2011/12/16 Keith J. Schultz <keithjschultz at web.de>:
> Hi,
>
> I would suggest putting a newline after the therorem title. Could right your own command
> for that.
>
> Though it is a matter of style and taste.
>
> regards
>        Keith.
>
> Am 16.12.2011 um 02:55 schrieb Daniel Greenhoe:

Generally speaking, paragraph breaking is controlled by a few
registers, the most important is \tolerance. \sloppy sets \tolerance
to 10000 which then looks ugly. You should start with \tolerance=9999.
In such a case you should not have overfull boxes (if you still have
them, some changes in the text may be needed). After this run you find
the highest badness of the underfull box. Set \tolerance to this value
and \hbadness to one less and run LaTeX again. You should see just one
underfull box in your log. Now you can decrease \tolerance (and
badness) until you get an overfull box, then return to the higher
value of \tolerance and set \hbadness to the same value. If you have a
paragraph with an overfull box, then set locally for  that paragraph
\emergencystretch=1em. (This algorithm appeared years ago in an
article by Phil Taylor and I use it since then)

>> I have a rather long document involving mathematics that sometimes has
>> the "Overfull \hbox" problem when I use inline mathematical scripts.
>> Before I go hacking up the document with newline and \raggedright
>> commands, is there any more elegant solution currently available?
>> Below (see also attachment) is an example:
>>
>> \documentclass[12pt]{book}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \usepackage{unicode-math}
>> \usepackage{geometry}
>> \geometry{
>>  xetex,centering,twoside,noheadfoot,nomarginpar,
>>  paper=a4paper,margin=20mm,
>>  showframe
>>  }
>> \setmainfont{texgyrepagella-regular.otf}
>> \setmathfont{xits-math.otf}
>> \setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
>> \begin{document}%
>> \thispagestyle{empty}%
>> %\sloppy
>> %\raggedright
>> Theorem 1.1 (The Theorem That Has This Rather Long Title)
>> Let the tuple $(X, Y, Z, A, B, C, +, x, -, !, \#)$
>> be some useful mathematical structure.
>> Then, \ldots
>> \end{document}%
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>> Dan
>> <mathover.pdf><mathover.tex><missfont.log>

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz