[XeTeX] Typographic question : quotation marks and apostrophes

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Thu Dec 15 16:12:58 CET 2011

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> found on the ground floor", but I am not the author), the apostrophe
> of "weaver’s/weavers’" is the same Unicode character as the closing
> quotation mark of "windows’".  Should it be ?

I think that's the practice recommended by the Unicode Consortium.
U+2019 is named "RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK" and bears the note "this is
the preferred character to use for apostrophe".  The standard for TeX
input is to use U+0027 for both, which also keeps them on the same code
point.  If we were setting metal type it seems unlikely we would have
different sorts for the two purposes.
--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.