[XeTeX] no small caps in GNU FreeSerif font?

Daniel Greenhoe dgreenhoe at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 22:09:34 CET 2011

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Andy Lin <kiryen at gmail.com> wrote:
> this is a case where a teckit mapping could solve your problem.

I did try making a teckit map (see attachments). However, I have some problems:
  1. small caps for q and x and are apparently not defined by the
Unicode standard.
  2. Using FontForge, I did not see small caps q or x in FreeSerif.otf.
  3. I did not find any small caps versions for capital letters in
FreeSerif or in the Unicode standard.
  4. Even in the TexGyre font "Pagella"-regular, which does support
small caps, I did not find any small caps using FontForge. For
example, the Unicode standard says that latin_letter_small_capital_a
should be at U+1D00. But in Pagella-regular, U+1D00 is empty. Where
are the small caps being hidden? Or are they algorithmically generated
from the Latin capital letters?

Dan