[XeTeX] no small caps in GNU FreeSerif font?

Daniel Greenhoe dgreenhoe at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 10:07:41 CET 2011

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Andy Lin <kiryen at gmail.com> wrote:
> but if you run otfinfo, it should tell you if the smcp feature is
> present in the font (although it's not a sure test,

Thanks for utility tip. I had never heard of otfinfo before.

For GNU FreeSerif, entering
  otffinfo -f FreeSerif.otf
yields very few flags (and neither smcp nor c2sc are among them):
  ccmp, dlig, hlig, kern, liga, and mark.

By way of contrast, for Texgyre's Pagella, entering
  otffinfo -f texgyrepagella-regular.otf
yields both the smcp (Small Capitals) and c2sc (Small Capitals From Capitals)
(by the way, if smcp is available, why is c2sc necessary?)

So, in conclusion, evidence would seem to indicate that small caps are
not currently fully supported by GNU's FreeSerif typeface.

Thank you for your help,
Dan