[XeTeX] tabular in footnote

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Tue Dec 6 22:58:08 CET 2011

Hello Daniel,

On 07/12/2011, at 8:16 AM, Daniel Greenhoe wrote:

> Thank you everyone for your help with this problem. I will regard it
> as a bug. I hope that someday it can be fully resolved.

Heiko explains why the table doesn't align as you want.

Try this variant of your example.

\documentclass[12pt]{book}
\usepackage[a4paper,noheadfoot,nomarginpar,margin=20mm,showframe]
 {geometry}

% adjust this value to suit
\def\foottableraise{2ex}

% define a new environment
\newenvironment{foottable}{%
 \raise\foottableraise\hbox\bgroup\space
 \begin{tabular}[t]%
 }{%
 \end{tabular}\egroup\vskip\foottableraise
 }

\begin{document}%
  xyz\footnote{%
    \raisebox{\foottableraise}{ % inserts a space
    \begin{tabular}[t]{|l|}
       \hline
        abc\\
        def\\
        ghj\\
        klm\\
        \hline
      \end{tabular}%\\
      }%
      \vskip \foottableraise
    }
  xyz\footnote{%
    \begin{foottable}{|l|}
       \hline
        abc\\
        def\\
        ghj\\
        klm\\
        \hline
      \end{foottable}%\\
   }
\end{document}%

Note that you need to use TeX's  \raise  and  \bgroup ... \egroup
in the environment definition.
This is because \raisebox reads its argument too soon, so the
start and end of the box cannot then be split between the
\begin and \end of the \newenvironment .

> Dan

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross.moore at mq.edu.au