[XeTeX] tabular in footnote

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 4 13:40:16 CET 2011

Hello

I use plain XeTeX, and thanks to scholars of ancient philosophy who like to
have huge footnotes (sometimes including tabular matter or extensive
workings in formal logic) I do sometimes have to specify that certain groups
of lines cannot split between pages.  Within tabular I just have
\noalign{\nobreak} between the lines of the table that aren't to be split,
and if a whole table was to be regarded as non-splittable I suppose I would
put it all within vertical box:  \vbox{TABLE IN HERE}.

Wordy commands can always be reduced for quickness in typing, for example:

\def\nbr{\noalign{\nobreak}} would let you type \nbr between tabular lines
that aren't to be split.

Do TeX primitives like that not work in LaTeX?

Best wishes

John