[XeTeX] page numbering using fancychap with Glenn option and no footer

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Dec 3 14:23:50 CET 2011

On Dec 3, 2011, at 7:02 AM, Daniel Greenhoe wrote:

> Thank you for your fast reply.
>
> 2011/12/3 Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>:
>> It is described in LaTeX documentation that \chapter
>> contains implicitely \thispagestyle{plain}
>
> Then isn't this a bug with LaTeX's \chapter command? For example, this
> has the same problem (no fancychap, no fancyhdr):
>
> \documentclass{book}
> \usepackage{geometry}
> \geometry{
>  xetex,paper=a4paper,
>  centering,twoside,
>  includehead,nofoot,
>  margin=15mm,
>  nomarginpar,
>  showframe
>  }
> \pagestyle{headings}
> \begin{document}%
> \chapter{This Chapter}
> \ldots first page \ldots
> \clearpage \ldots second  page \ldots
> \clearpage \ldots third   page \ldots
> \end{document}%
>
> Can't the \chapter command know that there is no footer and that the
> default page style is "headings"? If it can know these things, why
> does it still insist on reverting to pagestyle{plain} and putting a
> page number outside the legitimate printable area?
>
> Is there really no way I can blame this on something besides myself?
>
> Dan
>
> 2011/12/3 Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>:
>> 2011/12/3 Daniel Greenhoe <dgreenhoe at gmail.com>:
>>> When using the fancychap package with the "Glenn" option and *no
>>> footer*, there seems to be a minor problem:
>>> When starting a new chapter, the package still attempts to put a page
>>> number in the footer even though there is supposed to be no footer.
>>>
>>> Besides the brute-force solution of placing "\thispagestyle{empty}"
>>> with every chapter declaration (or an equivalent "\newchapter" macro
>>> solution), is there any more "elegant" solution to the problem?
>>> Shouldn't this be considered as a bug in the fancychap code?
>>>
>> I have looked at your code and briefly at fncychap. As I can see,
>> fncychap dos not do anything with headers and footer, you do it with
>> fancyhdr. How can fncychap know about other packages? It is described
>> in LaTeX documentation that \chapter contains implicitely
>> \thispagestyle{plain}, thus it cannot be considered a bug that the
>> feature is preserved in a package. You can only submit a feature
>> request of adding header.footer definition to fncychap.
>>
>>> Here is an example (see attachments also):
>>>
>>> \documentclass{book}
>>> \usepackage[Glenn]{fncychap}
>>> \usepackage{fancyhdr}
>>> \usepackage{geometry}
>>> \geometry{
>>>  xetex,paper=a4paper,
>>>  centering,twoside,
>>>  includehead,nofoot,
>>>  margin=15mm,
>>>  nomarginpar,
>>>  showframe
>>>  }
>>> \fancyhf[HER,HOL]{}
>>> \fancyhf[HOC,HEC]{}
> [...]

Howdy,

The \chapter command is part of the book class and is designed that way so that there are no headers on the page with the chapter. If you don't want it that way (after all it's a design decision) you redefine the \chapter command. Packages are designed to change the way a class operates so the class should know nothing about subsequently loaded packages.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)