[XeTeX] Diacritics in color

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Dec 1 00:31:48 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 05:09:09PM -0600, mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> > processed by the layout engine, which would require keeping account of
> > character to glyph mapping (which is doable, all text editing GUI's have
> > to do it).
>
> It will, of course, have to do something sensible (even if that just means
> complain) should the desired location of a reinserted special end up in
> the middle of a ligature.
>
> Suppose someone types
>
>    f\textcolor{red}{f}

In this case FireFox colourises half of resulting ff ligatures (1/3 in
ffi etc), I'm not sure how this is done or if it is possible with PDF at
all, but that is of limited value anyway specially for ligatures that
can not be split vertically or into equal parts (ligatures carets might
provide a clue in the later case, but they are rarely provided by font
developers).

Regards,
 Khaled