[XeTeX] XeTeX, XeTeXpicfile, and counter-intuitive behaviour

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Dec 1 12:49:30 CET 2011

Typesetting a restaurant menu, I have run into two problems :
one I can work around, one is completely defeating me.  Here
is the relevant fragment of code --

	\XeTeXpicfile Resources/Images/IMG_2206.JPG width \hsize \relax
	\XeTeXpicfile Resources/Images/TAR-2.pdf width \hsize \relax
	\vfil \eject

Problem 1 (work-aroundable) : the \vfill \eject has no effect,
and the image appears above the \halign that follows.  Work-
around : add some text before the first call to \XeTeXpicfile,
as in --

	Hallo world !
	\XeTeXpicfile Resources/Images/IMG_2206.JPG width \hsize \relax
	\XeTeXpicfile Resources/Images/TAR-2.pdf width \hsize \relax
	\vfil \eject

Problem 2 (completely intractable) : XeTeX claims to be unable to find
"TAR-2.pdf", despite the fact that it is in the same directory as
"IMG_2206.JPG" and that both filenames were inserted by initiating
a file rename, copying the current name, and then cancelling the
rename operation.  Both files open normally in their associated
programs.

	! Unable to load picture or PDF file 'Resources/Images/TAR-2.pdf'.
	<to be read again>
	                   \relax
	l.128 ...rces/Images/TAR-2.pdf width \hsize \relax

H E L P !!!
Philip Taylor