[XeTeX] Trying to build microtype-aware xetex

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 02:57:58 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Keith J. Schultz <keithjschultz at web.de> wrote:
> Hi Herbert,
>
> You are right their is font library that is deprecated and only allows xe(l)tex to be built 32-bit!
> This will have to change as the Mac world has going 64-bit. Yes, you can run 32-bit programs
> under Lion, but it also comes at a performance price.
>
> Anyone know exactly which library and how hard it would be to refractor or rewrite?

See the thread called "ATSUGetAttribute not found" on the tlbuild list
for a discussion.

Macports worked around the problem by building xetex using open source
libraries:

$ /opt/local/bin/xetex --version
XeTeX 3.1415926-2.3-0.9997.5 (TeX Live 2011/MacPorts 2011_1)
kpathsea version 6.0.1
Copyright 2011 SIL International and Jonathan Kew.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the XeTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the XeTeX source.
Primary author of XeTeX: Jonathan Kew.
Compiled with ICU version 4.6 [with modifications for XeTeX]
Compiled with zlib version 1.2.5; using 1.2.5
Compiled with FreeType2 version 2.4.6; using 2.4.6
Compiled with fontconfig version 2.8.0; using 2.8.0
Compiled with libpng version 1.4.8; using 1.4.8
Compiled with poppler version 0.16.6

$ file /opt/local/bin/xetex
/opt/local/bin/xetex: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

> regards
>        Keith.
>
> Am 29.08.2011 um 03:30 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Were you trying to build a 64bit xetex? I believe (folks, please correct me if I'm wrong) there is a problem building 64bit (some framework is 32bit only?) and the xetex for Mac (even the one in x86_64-darwin) is actually 32bit.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia