[XeTeX] Trying to build microtype-aware xetex

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Mon Aug 29 03:20:09 CEST 2011

On Aug 28, 2011, at 9:06 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2011, at 7:52 PM, Stephen Moye wrote:
>
>> I haven't had to do this in quite some time, so I'm a bit rusty. I had a microtype-compatible version of xetex installed and then updated my environment with TLU which apparently clobbered my xetex.
>>
>> So now I'm trying to rebuild xetex, but I'm getting an error (Mac OS X, 10.7.1, xcode 4.1.1):
>>
>> /Users/smoye/microxetex/texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeXLayoutInterface.cpp: In function ‘int GetFontCharRange_AAT(OpaqueATSUStyle*, int)’:
>> /Users/smoye/microxetex/texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeXLayoutInterface.cpp:867: error: ‘ATSUGetAttribute’ was not declared in this scope
>> /Users/smoye/microxetex/texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeXLayoutInterface.cpp:869: error: ‘FMGetATSFontRefFromFont’ was not declared in this scope
>> make: *** [libxetex_a-XeTeXLayoutInterface.o] Error 1
>> + ls -l /Users/smoye/microxetex/build-xetex/texk/web2c/xetex
>> ls: /Users/smoye/microxetex/build-xetex/texk/web2c/xetex: No such file or directory
>>
>> I did 'svn up' prior to trying run build-xetex.sh. What are the current directions for building xetex, and where can I find them?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Stephen Moye
>>

>> Stephen Moye
>> stephenmoye at mac.com
>

> Howdy,
>
> I just ran a file through xelatex that comes with MacTeX-2011 with all updates with and without the microtype package (2.5beta6) and I definitely saw a change in the paragraph layout, including protrusion but don't know about font expansion. What are you changing to make xelatex `more' compatible with the microtype package. Just interested.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Sorry for the noise. Apparently it was not the version of xetex that got clobbered, but the version of microtype that was the problem. I just downloaded the version of the microtype package that works with xelatex and everything is back to normal -- whew. I'm not changing anything -- there was a microtype-aware branch of xetex and that was what I thought I had, and lost.

No, I'm not using expansion, nor do I expect to do so. Protrusion is fine for the moment.

The question remains, though: How does one build xe(la)tex these days?

Thanks.

Stephen