[XeTeX] Error upon install texlive on OpenBSD ports.

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Aug 4 22:11:01 CEST 2011

Am 04.08.2011 um 15:02 schrieb Alan Jones:

> ! LaTeX Error: File `xetex.def' not found.
>
> Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
> or enter new name. (Default extension: def)

Here you could try to invoke, in a second shell, 'sudo texhash' to make your TeX installation aware of all its files. You can, before and after, verify with 'kpsewhich xetex.def' whether the file xetex.def can be found (kpsewhich works like any TeX executable would work in respect to the way TeX related files are searched). Finally you can use the locate utility (or find, which just needs more time) to determine whether xetex.def really exists. If not, you'll have to report that bug! But wait, you might check first the state of your TeX software:

Actually it might be possible to use the tlmgr (TeX Live [distribution] Manager) script to update your TeX installation. You'll have to use the sudo command to gain super user privileges. It might also be possible that you check the OpenBSD Ports site and/or the TeX Live site to determine which repository has to be used for updating (sudo tlmgr --repository *url|path*). Tlmgr can also use X11 and open a GUI when invoked as 'sudo tlmgr --gui &' (it needs PerlTK). The first step should be to check the repository set whether it's the right one. Then make tlmgr update itself (sudo tlmgr [--repository *url|path*] --update --self). With the now potentially updated tlmgr utility you can check whether updates exist: sudo tlmgr [--repository *url|path*] --update --list. When you think it's the right time for an update substitute the "list" with "all". (The report from xetex "(TeX Live 2010-OpenBSD_Ports)" seems to indicate that you are not using the TL '11 edition but it's preview. In that case tlmgr might fail to work or you'll have to supply with the URL to the TL '11 repository.)

> I have not set the PATH yet in .profile file, what should the path be
> for OpenBSD port for texlive2010. How woudl I go about correcting this
> error.

The command 'echo $PATH' can show you where your shell searches fro executables. You can also invoke 'which xetex' which will show you which (of the potentially many xetex executables) is found and used.

--
Greetings

  Pete

The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this matter, must often have the uncomfortable feeling that his paper and pencil surpass him in intelligence.
				– Ernst Mach