[XeTeX] opentype arabic font rendering in mac osx (snow leopard and lion)

Youssef Cherem ycherem at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 17:52:08 CEST 2011

I can see there's an issue with Adobe Arabic, and PDF can be viewed properly with other fonts. But even Times New Roman doesn't have any ligatures when I write something in Word or Pages -- and in Word I can't even see the Arabic fonts in the menu (Asian fonts appear, though). Maybe it's a deficiency of the programs themselves.

Perhaps they'll appear in Mellel. I haven't installed Adobe Reader yet because it just seemed too bloated (more than 400mb just for a reader).